Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

List of Pharmacy Schools in California

Here is a list of schools I have found. The situation is worse than I thought since it seems everytime I check online or speak to a colleague I find out about another school that is opening or about to open.
Pharmacy Schools in California:
•Loma Linda University – School of Pharmacy,  Loma Linda, CA
•Touro University – College of Pharmacy, Vallejo, CA
•University of California San Diego – Skaggs School of Pharmacy, La Jolla, CA
•University of California San Francisco – School of Pharmacy, San Francisco, CA
•University of Southern California – School of Pharmacy, Los Angeles, CA
•University of the Pacific – School of Pharmacy, Stockton, California
•Western University of Health Sciences – College of Pharmacy, Pomona, CA
•California Northstate College of Pharmacy, Rancho Cordova, CA
Projected Pharmacy Schools in California:
•West Coast University (WCU), North Hollywood, CA
The new school of pharmacy will be based on WCU’s North Hollywood campus in Los Angeles, California. It is expected that an inaugural class of 65 will enroll in the Fall Term of 2013.
•The AUHS School of Pharmacy, Signal Hill, CA
Scheduled for year 2012 with Bachelors of Science in Pharmaceutical Science (BSPS), and the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D.) program.
•Samuel Merritt College,  Oakland, CA
http://www.samuelmerritt.edu
•Central California School of Pharmacy, Fresno, CA
That is 12 and counting!

5 comments:

  1. 100% agree with you. They all want to kill our profession. I've been telling my friends and family not to fill Rx at CVS, Walgreens, and Rite aid. If they don't respect and protect pharmacy as a profession, they don't deserve my respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear from you. I applaud your efforts but it may be difficult to convince people to stop patronizing the large chains. Whether we agree or not, they do have their place in pharmacy. My main concern is not their existence. It is what they have created in response to their cries about lack of manpower in pharmacy. Most pharmacists work as employees for these chains and this was not a substandard option for employment even several years ago. You were provided with great benefits and pay and most of all you had some appreciation from your employer. I met numerous pharmacists as an intern who had decades of service with one company and they were happy with their overall compensation and treatment. In retrospect, I realize that this was mostly due to the fact that you could not be easily replaced and that the companies were smaller in size. Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid are giants. The larger the corporation the worse off the employees. I have been with two companies in my career, both of whom were bought out by larger corporations. In both scenarios, employee treatment suffered and employee disdain increased. The chains do not respect and protect the profession as you stated. Nor do they respect and protect you. I have been involved with quality assurance and never have I heard an error being a "system" error. The findings of an error review invariably determined it was a "human" error. Therefore, all the blame is deflected away from the company and onto you, the pharmacist. The chains are mainly responsible for the overreaction to the manpower issue. There are more than enough schools and student pharmacists. If more pharmacists are allowed to enter the profession this will only worsen this already precarious situation. If you are expendable now, wait till there are more options for these corporations...

      Delete
    2. I didn't know about any of the things you said in your comment. I'm looking to go to school to be a pharmacist and was planning on working in a place like cvs or rite aid after but now I don't know. When I looked up info on whats its like in the workplace as a pharmacist all I mostly heard good things besides that the jobs repetitive and about burn out over time. Can I just ask where might be a better place to work besides big chains and small companies that could get bought out?

      Delete
  2. Pharmacists working in independent pharmacies may become owners or part-owners after gaining experience and raising the necessary capital.
    Pharmacy programs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really,your blog article is very good.

    I read your article and got better understanding about pharmacist. i read your article and got some news important ideas this is more benefit for me and i hope other people read your article and learn better.

    i would like to says thanks for publishing these article online.

    ReplyDelete